We have implemented a card verification feature as an extra security check to make sure that you are the one authorising the loads into your WeSwap account. The card verification only needs to be done when you add a new debit card.
WeSwap will make a small charge (£1) to your debit card and, after the debit card is verified, we will reverse it. Please note that this charge is a pre-authorisation and, once the funds are reversed to your bank account, you may not see the initial pre-authorisation transaction, neither the release of the funds (this depends on how your bank displays it).
Please note: make sure that the favourite/primary wallet is in the currency of the debit card that you are loading with (e.g. if your debit card is linked to a GBP bank account, your favourite/primary wallet will need to be GBP in order for you to verify your card in GBP). You can then change your favourite/primary wallet after verifying your card to the currency you want to. Here you can find the list of currencies that you can load in with.
To verify a new debit card:
- Click on the +Load button
- Select New debit card
- Enter the card details and click on Done – the 3DS authentication is required and, once this has been successful, you will need to go back to the load page (use the arrow on the top-left of the screen)
- At this point you will see the card under Saved Cards as Not verified – click on it
- Your debit card will be charged £1 which will be reversed when this process has been completed
- The £1 charge will have a 4-digit verification code on the description/reference near the charge amount - go on your online/App bank to retrieve it (the merchant's name is Manigo) - this needs to be entered on your WeSwap App
- The code starts with W and has a 4-digit number (only the numbers need to be entered in the WeSwap App)
- Depending on the issuer bank, the code can be displayed in different places:
- On the title of the payment next to the amount (where you usually see the merchant’s name)
- On the details of the payment - You may need to click on the charge to see the full 4 digits (since some banks only display a limited number of characters in the main page)
- On the transactions statement - You may need to download the transactions statement.
- On the pending transactions list: since the £1 is not settled, some banks are showing this separately from the completed activities, therefore if this is the case make sure to check pending transactions list on your online banking.
Your debit card is now verified! At this point go back to the load screen, and you will be able to load the account.
If you do not confirm your card by entering in the 4-digit code (or your card cannot be confirmed), the £1 charge will be reversed within 24 hours.